Math Skill/Concept: Two digits by one digit multiplication with regrouping using concrete materials.
Multiplication fact families
Understanding that multiplication is repeated addition
Grouping of ones and tens
Multiplying two digits by one digit numbers without regrouping
Use of place value mats and materials
Identifying place value to 100’s
1) Use concrete objects to solve two digits by one digit multiplication problems with regrouping.
Important Ideas for Implementation:
1) Use story problems to provide context
2) Use discrete objects that can be grouped
3) Emphasize use of repeated addition process
4) Emphasize counting by groups
5) This teaching plan is written for the skill of two digits by one digit multiplication with regrouping. Following the same sequence of steps as outlined below, students would have had previous experience with using base ten materials and place value mats to complete multiplication problems involving multiplying tens by one digit numbers, and multiplying two digit by one digit numbers without regrouping.
6) This teaching plan outlines the steps for teaching two digits by one digit multiplication with regrouping. If additional instruction at the concrete level is needed for problems involving multiplying three digits by one digit or two digit factors, the same sequence of steps as outlined in this plan can be followed.