Daily Lessons and Activities:
Cities of Florida
Grade Level: Secondary
Place (site), Location, Human-Environmental Interaction
Discussing the aspects of city location and placement,
students will use their geographical skills to plot the major cities of Florida
and its relative location to the rest of the states.
One Class Period
Gives students hands on work in planning, allows students
to apply concepts/skills learned in class.
Initially the PowerPoint entitled Highways and Byways will
be used to introduce the students to basic geographical and historical events
that have effected this state, discussing these elements as the presentation
- Discuss site and advantages of one site over another
- Why a city would be built on a particular site
- What special types of infrastructure would a
particular site need
- Discuss elements of physical landscape and elements of
cultural landscape, i.e., where should waste be deposited, where should roads
lead, where does the city get its water, what type of energy could be
- List things that are included on maps (Note: the map
that students will be producing is going to be very general, so do not over
discuss elements of maps).
- After discussion generalities of geography, introduce
the students to the Florida outline resource map and using the overhead, plot
onto the map the following cities:
- Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Myers
- West Palm Beach
- Daytona Beach
- The students are to label the map using a key, utilizing
a symbol of their own choice for the cities. The key should be placed in the
lower left of the map outline page.
- Discuss with the students the commonalties of these
- As a bonus follow up question, ask as to why Orlando is
located where it is?
- Together using the overhead, plot the outlines of the
major interstate routes through Florida.
- Discuss the economic advantages of being near an
interstate system (traffic, commerce, tourism, etc.). Students may want to
take notes on this discussion.
Outline Map of Florida.
www.randmacnally.com (to attain the road map of Florida to put on an
Students who plotted their maps with the best accuracy will
receive the highest grades.
Map Outline Florida