General Directions: On your outline map, neatly and accurately label the following items. The following hints will make your map easier to understand.
Put the following items on your outline map:
|Cities:||Bodies of Water:||Mountain:||Countries:||Islands:|
|Tokyo||Sea of Japan||Mt. Fuji||Japan||Hokkaido|
|Yokohama||Pacific Ocean||the former Soviet Union||Honshu|
|Osaka||Inland Sea||People's Republic of China||Kyushu|
|Nagoya||East China Sea||North Korea||Shikoku|
|Kyoto||Sea of Okhotsk||South Korea||Okinawa|
Using an atlas, answer the following questions:
Size and Comparison
1. Between Japan and the mainland of Asia is found the
2. Name the two countries located nearest to Japan.
3. Name two countries near Japan that are much larger in area than Japan.
______________________________ and ______________________________
4. How does Japan compare in size with California?
5. How does Mt. Fuji compare in height to the highest mountain in the U.S.?
6. How does Mt. Fuji compare in height to the highest mountain in your state?
7. What U.S. state lies along the same latitude line as Japan's northern-most
8. What U.S. state lies along the same latitude as Japan's southern-most tip?
9. ______________________________ is a large city in the U.S. at approximately the same latitude as Sapporo.
10. The latitude of Japan is similar to the latitude of the east coast of the
True ________ or false ________.
11. Name two other factors besides latitude that influence Japan's climate.
12. Average winter temperatures in Japan range from _____________ in northern Japan to _____________________ in southern Japan.
13. Average annual precipitation in Japan is ______________________________________
14. Why are there no long or large rivers in Japan?
15. Why does Japan have little arable land?
16. Why is most farmland located near the coasts of Japan?
17. What is the largest island in Japan?
18. Which Japanese city was devastated by a major earthquake in 1995?
19. What two kinds of natural disasters have threatened Japan over the
______________________________ and ________________________________
20. What is the population of Japan? ___________________________
21. What is the population density of Japan? ____________________
22. Which of the four major islands is least densely populated?
23. Where are areas of high population density generally located?
24. What is the birth rate in Japan? ____________________________
25. What percentage of the people live in urban areas? _____________
26. What is the main agricultural crop of Japan? ________________
27. Why is fish such a popular source of food in Japan?
28. What natural resources does Japan possess?