Teaching and Learning
District & School Partners
Teaching and Learning partners with the following schools districts and schools on various initiatives, including student placement for early field experiences and internships.
School District Partners
Hernando County Public Schools
Highlands County Public Schools
Hillsborough County Public Schools
Manatee County Public Schools
Pasco County Public Schools
Pinellas County Public Schools
Polk County Public Schools
Sarasota County Public Schools
USF Robert Noyce STEM Scholar Program School Partners
Beginning in Fall 2011, Secondary Education will partner with the Hillsborough County School District to support prospective teachers who are part of the USF Robert Noyce STEM Scholars Program. Specifically, Noyce Scholars will complete semester long field experiences supported by practicing mathematics or science teachers at the following school sites with diverse student populations:
During their semester in each of these schools, Noyce Scholars will engage in various instruction-related activities that include, but are not limited to: developing lessons, teaching or co-teaching lessons, working with small groups of students, and the like. These experiences are intended to provide the Noyce Scholars the experiences they need to become effective teachers.
Thomas E. Weightman Middle School, Pasco county
Liaison, Dr. Eileen Austin
In 1991, Thomas E. Weightman Middle School became USF's first Professional Development School. From its inception, the school set apart special USF office space for our faculty use. Weightman staff members see themselves as active partners with the college of Education Goals for the partnership include:
- Ongoing partnirship to mentor teachers so our students experience positive early field experiences in all secondary program areas.
- Helping to coordinate early fleld experiences for students in secondary firogram areas.
- Matching up student interns with cooperative teachers who are positive role models and eager for us to have input from USF program faculty.
- Helping to coordinate with the USF Internship Office to screen and invite students to do their final internship at Weightman.
- Holding meetings-with cooperating teachers in all content areas outside the classroom and with our Weightman intems after school in the USF office space.
- Helping to facilitate the relationship and connect USF faculty who wish to conduct research at the school with the correct administrators and faculty to meet the research need.
- Representing the entire spectrum of graduate (both masters and doctorate) opportunities to Weightman school faculty and other Pasco County staff.
- Infoin Weightman faculty of USF research /grant opportunities like Intel Teach to the Future.